Who is Ed Parkour?

Yesterday I took a professional development day and spent the entire day with Michael Wesch and Jim Groom in a series of conferences & talks on education.

Dr. Wesch is the current Kansas State University Coffman Chair for University Distinguished Teaching Scholars and was the lead organizer of the event, featuring keynote speaker Jim Groom. (I’ll have more to say about Jim’s talk in a later post.)

Wesch introduced us to the concept of “Ed Parkour” in his typical poetic form, with this video playing, and the following narration:

The definition of parkour, according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary is:

par·kour: the sport of traversing environmental obstacles by running, climbing, or leaping rapidly and efficiently

With all of the obstacles in today’s world of education, the metaphor of education parkour is an apt one. The practitioners of parkour are known as “traceurs,” so if we keep with our metaphor, those educators who efficiently traverse obstacles to teaching and learning could be thought of traceurs as well. We all know education traceurs, if we think about it. Whatever the new mandate or initiative, these people know how to roll with it, jump over it or incorporate it into what they do without even flinching. No Child Left Behind; no problem. State assessments; state of mind. These educators don’t let the weight of bureaucracy stop them from their mission of teaching.

I would like to think of myself as something of an ed traceur, but one who frequently stumbles and only occasionally pulls off something amazing. But I keep plugging away at it, and am glad I had the chance to hang out with some other traceurs as well.

If I had to pick one education traceur to hold up as an example, I’d pick Mr. Paul Bogush. He’s a teacher who inspires, and who doesn’t let the obstacles prevent him from reaching his teaching goals. He gets his students to do the impossible and then he tells the rest of us how he did it. He makes it look easy, but I know he takes his share of bumps and bruises along the way as well.

What about you? Are you an education traceur? Do you see the obstacles, but incorporate them into your environment, using them as a springboard to action? If not, do you know anyone who is and do you try to emulate them? Wouldn’t it be fun to see this concept of Ed Parkour take off? We are tweeting about it under the hashtag #edparkour. We are building a website at http://edparkour.com where we discuss how to utilize existing tools as well as leap over or bounce off of any obstacles in our path. The world is our playground. Come play with us. We are Ed Parkour!

17 thoughts on “Who is Ed Parkour?

1. Pingback: If you wish to make a an impact for one year, plant corn. If you wish to make in impact for a generation, plant a tree. But, if you wish to make an impact on eternity, educate a child. » Blog Archive » I tend to fall a lot…so I might as

2. Pingback: Educational Parkour | erinrougeux.com

3. Pingback: I’ve Scraped My Knees, But I’m Living with It | MyBlog

4. Pingback: Khrystie-Ann » Blog Archive

5. As a future educator I have no idea what kind of educator I will be. I would like to see myself as an education traceur, but I do not know if I would be able to roll with the punches, and take everything that comes at me like it is nothing at all. I’m afraid that I will be a educator that panics and will become completely lost at times. I hope I can work on it and become a Education Traceur.

Twitter: @alexmayfield21
    blog: mayfieldalexedm310.blogspot.com

6. Pingback: Obstacles As Leverage « sarahmessmer.com

7. Pingback: I am Ed Parkour. | Samantha Says

8. Pingback: Head first, hand in hand | ahanrahan.com

9. Pingback: Occupy “ED Parkour” | Blog About It

10. Pingback: Meet me by the swingset | antoinettebesemer.com

11. Pingback: » Have you met Ed? Something catchy and clever

12. Pingback: Teaching Through the Obstacles: Ed Parkour | "Blog" is Just "Glob" Spelled Sideways

13. Pingback: Educators as Olympians | ashmarieblogs.info

14. Pingback: Ed Parkour | bavatuesdays

15. Pingback: Ed Parkour? Who that? | My Blog

16. Pingback: TechIntersect - How Do You EdParkour?

17. Pingback: Elizibeth Dawdy » Week 8: Ed Symposium Reflection, Oct. 11